Thursday, January 1, 2015

December 30, 2014 - Second Oncologist Visit.


This is my second visit with Dr. Mitchell. I have had my surgery and it is time to start my third leg of my journey. Once again as I am signing in, I get a rush of adrenaline but much less than the initial visit. I'm sure that will continue to get better with each visit. They call me back within five minutes and straight to the scales we go. I had lost 11 pounds since last visit. So there is your weight loss plan girls - have a double mastectomy! lol. They then take me to the "live, laugh and love" room! Dr. Mitchell comes in with a huge "glad to see you" smile with outstretched arms and I immediately stand up and receive my big bear-like therapeutic hug! I personally feel that with cancer my patient/doctor relationship has to be one of trust, safety and open and honest communication and nothing builds this better than the nurturing touch of a hug! 
He begins by discussing my final pathology report which classified my tumor as a Stage 1A because it was less than 2 cm. and there was no lymph node involvement! I don't have words worthy enough to express my thankfulness at this point. He then thoroughly explains my treatment plan. I will be receiving four cycles of Cytoxan and Taxotere given over a period of 12 weeks. We also discussed the pre-meds that will be given before each treatment and for a few days after each treatment. I will also return the day after each treatment for a Neulasta injection. He reviewed all medicines with me including reason for giving and possible side effects. He also provided me with statistics and percentages of improving my odds of rate of recurrence with my treatment plan. We then discussed a clinical trial which we both feel would be a win-win for me. I would still get my standard of care therapy but would also receive Herceptin every three weeks for one year. This clinical trial is specifically for people in the HER2 grayish zone, which is me. My HER2 was 2.0 and then analyzed further by FISH with a ratio of 1.45 which is resulted as negative. We both feel like I am an ideal candidate for this research. It is a randomized study where the computer decides. I will know in a few days if I get randomized into the study. I certainly hope the computer likes me! lol. We then took a tour of the infusion center and finished up in the lab for pre-chemo bloodwork. I am leaving my doctor's visit today as a well informed and very satisfied patient/customer! God is still Great and All is still good!

2 comments: