Friday, December 11, 2015

December 11, 2015 - Breast Cancer One Year Later.

I had just rolled into my room after having a double mastectomy on December 11, 2014 when Chelsey took this picture. Time passes so quickly and this year was no exception and I am still here! I will forever be thankful to Dr. Bill Mitchell and Dr. Peter Turk for immediately taking me "under their wings" and providing me with competent and excellent VIP care and swiftly getting me to surgery. That same "red carpet" care continued throughout my chemotherapy sessions and throughout breast reconstruction with Dr. Bryan Criswell. Dr. Criswell did a superb job with putting me "back together!" My new breasts are proof of his "perfectionist" work personality - only the best for his patients! 
This was my view from my hospital bed. I love fans so I was ecstatic to actually have a ceiling fan with its wonderful sound! I remember being so thankful that my lymph nodes were negative for cancer and being so pleased and thankful that I had always practiced preventive care with mammograms and monthly breast checks. Early detection is definitely the key to a better outcome. 

We ended yesterday with Claire's school chorus concert. Claire is the first beautiful blond on the far left on the bottom row! She loves chorus and has a beautiful and angelic singing voice. It was with a thankful heart that I sat and enjoyed the music. I began to think about my one year mark and how happy and grateful I am to be here tonight listening to this grand performance! They even sang the first verse of Silent Night in German and if you notice they didn't require books. They knew the words to all five of their songs! It was a wonderful and memorable night for me and a great way to spend my first year "cancerversary!" Life is a journey and every day is a gift. I am humbled and so thankful to God that He continues to give me gifts. From the words of Silent Night - all is calm, all is bright! Merry Christmas and love to all of my readers! 

2 comments:

  1. "Life is a journey and every day is a gift." So true!

    I love this post. Thanks for the update and the reminder to treat every day as a gift. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow! Hope you and your family have a beautiful holiday season and a very Merry Christmas! <3 Kristin

    ReplyDelete